The typical process is as follows:
- The Building Inspector requires the power on for the CO inspection in order to make sure the electrical in the space passes code. If the location needs electrical you will need to put in an application for a clean & show prior to submitting the certificate of occupancy application.
- Submit your application on our MyGov Permit Portal. We do not accept paper copies of the application.
- If you need water, you will need to put in a commercial water application with the water utility clerk. The application can be found on our website or in office. You can email it to email@example.com with a copy of your drivers license. The deposit fee can only be paid with cash, check or money order.
- If your business requires a health department inspection, you will need to contact Tarrant County Public Health. The Town of Pantego does not offer health inspections.
- We have a third-party Building Inspector who will review the application to ensure that all information is complete, and that the zoning district is appropriate for the type of business. NOTE: A certificate will not be issued if a tax id is not provided.
- If the application is approved, and no construction is to be done, the applicant will be issued an invoice for payment. Once the fee is paid the applicant can request inspection on MyGov, email or call our office.
- We currently offer inspections thought a third party, Monday thru Friday. The building inspection request must be in by 2:00 pm the day before. If making a request for Monday, the request must be submitted by 2:00 pm on the Friday before. All inspections will be scheduled for the following business day. The third party does not offer set times for their appointments.
- If construction will take place before the business is to open, then the certificate of occupancy inspection will be done along with the final building inspection.
- When the building inspection takes place, the inspector will be checking to ensure that all electrical, plumbing and mechanical equipment is in safe condition, as well as the means of egress requirements are met.
- Upon approval from the building inspector, the utilities will be released for the business.
- The applicant may then move in to the space and prepare to open for business. The space must be ready for business opening before the fire inspection.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to contact us when you are ready for the fire inspection.
- Once we have been notified the business is ready for fire. Your application is then handed over to the fire department for the fire inspection. The building department does not handle the scheduling for the fire inspection.
- The fire department will contact the applicant to set up an appointment for inspection.
- When given confirmation from the fire department of inspection approval, the applicant may open for business.
- The physical certificate will be delivered upon fire inspection approval.
These steps are for the average certificate of occupancy application. Different circumstances may change the requirements and time frames. If you do not fill out the application completely or provide all information it can delay the process.
For a downloadable pdf of the process and a list of common CO correction click here.
The application must be submitted via MyGov. The clean & show is $40 and the Certificate of Occupancy fee is $100.00. We accept cash, check, money order, or credit. We do not accept payment over the phone. If paying by cash, check, or money order you can mail or drop off the payment to:
1614 S. Bowen Rd.
Pantego, TX 76013