Sewer Stoppages

Sewer stoppages on private property are the responsibility of the property owner or tenant. The Town of Pantego is responsible for maintaining lines within the public right-of-way and public utility easements but is prohibited by law from expending public funding for repairs on private property.

Who should I call if my sinks don’t drain or my toilets are overflowingMost common household plumbing stoppages are caused by grease buildup or foreign objects clogging the service line. Consumer tips for selecting a plumber are available from the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners.

Is there anything that I can do before I call a plumberBecome familiar with where the sewer line cleanouts are on your property. Some service cleanouts may have become covered with landscaping, soil, or grass. Depending on the age of your home, you may also have a property line cleanout (more information below).

What do I do if I see sewage in the street? If you see what appears to be sewage in the street or if any of your neighbors also have sewer stoppages at the same time, immediately call non-emergency dispatch at 817-274-2511.

Is the Town responsible for tree roots in my service lineThe property owner is responsible for all obstructions which might occur in the service line. Your plumber should be equipped to remove and prevent the return of tree roots in your service line.

My plumber said that my service line is broken where it connects to the Town’s system but the Town will not let him dig it up to fix it. Why notPlumbers are not permitted to excavate sewer services in the public right-of-way. There are several utilities installed in these narrow areas and each must be protected. Therefore, only the Town's Public Works Department or an approved utility contractor may repair sewer lines in the right-of-way. Please contact Public Works at 817-617-3700 and request a sewer service call.

If my plumber says the problem is on the Town's side, what do I need to doThis phrase can have several meanings. Town staff will determine responsibility for the repair. Town code defines the lateral service line as beginning at the house and ending past the tie-in to the Town main as the property and responsibility of the homeowner. Therefore, there is no such thing as a "Town side" on a lateral service line. If there is a blockage or offset in the line beyond the Town's right-of-way, the plumber still needs to unblock the line. 

If there is a structural defect on the sewer lateral line somewhere in the right-of-way, the responsibility of excavating and repairing the sewer line falls under the Public Works Department. This does not change the fact that the lateral line is owned by the resident. Before the Town will excavate and repair a structural defect in the right-of-way, the resident must provide a videotape of the sewer lateral line (provided to you by your plumber) that shows the defect needing repair. Staff will review and explain our findings. If the recording does show a structural defect that needs repair, Public Works will repair the line (within the right-of-way) on behalf of the resident.

I’m not happy with the work of my plumber. What should I doPlumbers are licensed by the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners.

What is a property line cleanoutA property line cleanout is a 4" round stack with a 4" sweep that is installed in the ground. It has a plastic or steel removable lid that is at ground level. The property line cleanout is made of a strong plastic pipe and it is usually installed at the edge of the easement just behind the sidewalk, roughly 9 to 11 feet from the curb. The property line cleanout is connected to the sanitary sewer service that leads from the house to the sanitary sewer main. A property line cleanout can be very convenient for you or your plumber to access the sewer service line for clearing stoppages. It is also helpful when it is necessary to send a camera through the sewer service line for assessing the conditions of the pipe. Without the property line cleanout, you or your plumber can only access your sanitary sewer service from the cleanouts at your house.

I don’t have a property line cleanout. How can I have one installedYour plumber will need to apply for a permit before installing a property line cleanout.

I have raw sewage in my house. Who is going to clean this upPlease contact your homeowner's insurance company to determine if cleaning and restoration are covered.

Main Menu
General Information
Phone Numbers
Fax: 817-617-3726
Emergencies: Dial 911
1614 S Bowen Road

Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm